It had been raining - the light spitting on you type - for a few hours when it came to be bedtime for the littles. After bath, Jake decided that he needed to wear snowflake underwear to ensure that it actually would snow overnight. (sorry, no picture of this - but i thought it was hilarious, and plan on using it as girlfriend fodder when he is of an age to actually date).
About 20 minutes after getting the boys in bed, I am looking at the radar and see this:
Yep, that is the location of our house, surrounded by snow, and we have a big hole over our area of course - because for some reason there is a bubble over us (which moves with us from house to house apparently), and it never rains where we happen to live - sorry neighbors, we thought it was just our old neighborhood.
But, even with the radar information confirming the suspicions we have had since the fall when it rained only 3" at the new house and a whopping 12" at the old house - it did start sleeting very shortly after I found this lovely image.
Now, I am not sure that it really snowed at all at our house - I am fairly certain sleet was all that we received, but it did coat EVERYTHING - there is no way we could have gotten cars out of the driveway safely before it melted, I mean everything was covered in ice - not snow - ice (and I do not drive in ice). And how do I know it was ice and not snow - well walking all over it left not a single footprint, and I am pretty sure you leave footprints in snow.
So, upon waking in the morning and seeing that there was white stuff on the driveway, and in the grass, and really everywhere - we bundled up and headed outside to check it out.
This is the first time Travis has seen "snow", and I think his legs slid into that position since it was really ice...
Kids playing in front of our "wintry wonderland" of a house (don't be surprised if this is on our Christmas card next year by the way)
Jake side-shuffling down the driveway
Jake crunching through the front yard - and you can see the ice all over the street too.
Ice that I broke at the end of our driveway - (I thought it looked pretty)
Boys tromping through the garden because you could see the "snow" there
Accumulation on top of the swing canopy - and another reason why I am thinking it was all sleet and not snow here.
Jake looking at, and ultimately deciding against going down the slide.
So we played outside (at 8am) for about 15 minutes before the boys decided it was cold and time to go inside, where we made hot chocolate - and coffee for Mama.
That's right, be jealous - I make awesome coffee!
Jake decided to enjoy his in front of a "roaring" fire.
And after all that fun (at like 8:30am) - Jake decided that he wanted to be helpful, and proceeded to help me unload dishes, to put away (on his own) all of the blankets and clean towels, gather both boys laundry from upstairs, and do the laundry with Travis's help.
So I ended up with a clean house in way less time than it normally takes me because my boys decided to actually be helpful!!
I did miss out on my standard Friday morning workout class, since schools were shut down the class was cancelled (which is probably good because we couldn't have left the house with all that ice on the driveway anyway before 11:30).
It didn't ever really get all that warm, 36 high I think, and so we did still have "snow" on our roof when I left the next day for my Saturday morning workout class - I believe it was still there when I returned, but after reaching like 60 today, I am pretty sure it is all gone now.
So yeah, Snow-Pocalypse 2014 - really was just a nice family day for us - and probably for most other families as well, except those silly people who ventured out and ended up in one of those 20 car pile-ups which had freeways shut down - I know, Texan's can't handle a little bit of cold weather - but seriously, I had the option, and decided not to go anywhere, and it was lovely!

No comments:
Post a Comment