Monday, February 10, 2014

Mother of the Year? - possibly yes

Well, Mother of the Year award I think is about to be transferred to me...

We had some friends and their kiddos over for dinner on Saturday night - a show off the house, and catch up on everyone's lives type of dinner.  It was fun.  Various kids had various different meltdowns over various items throughout the night, but that is what happens when there are 6 kids running around the house (only 2 are mine), particularly when the 2 groups haven't played together since before Travis existed.

So fast forward through the yummy dinner, and let's get to WHY I think the Mother of the Year award should be transferred to me.

After dinner the adults were gabbing around the kitchen island, as they typically do.  The 3 big kids were upstairs playing video games, and 2 of the littles were downstairs watching Sleeping Beauty.  The other little, was out of eye-sight.  So I head upstairs to see what he is up to.  And I peep into the playroom - no Travis (I was really hoping he was just quietly playing).  I look in the game room where the big kids are - no Travis (And looking in there I was hoping he was just observing quietly).  I wander through Jake's room, Travis's room, and the spare room - no Travis (Crap, where is the kid).

  It is about this time that I hear - "SARAH" yelled at me from downstairs.  Now it sounded a bit frantic to me, so I knew I was not walking into anything that I would consider "appropriate behavior" for an almost 2-year old, and possibly something very bad.  And then I walk in on this:





He has climbed up on my sink, filled it with water and soap, all while still wearing his jeans, socks, and shoes, and he is taking a bath - we are talking rubbing soapy water all over himself taking a bath.  He was happy as can be, and so very proud of himself for getting clean.  My first reaction of course was - "Blake, Grab the camera" - so clearly I wasn't terribly upset that this was the outcome, there are a million worse things he could have been doing - and frankly, I thought it was funny that he was ready for bath time, and took it on himself to get it done.

Maybe not totally Mother of the Year worthy sounding, because I thought it as funny but seriously - I lost my kid (in my own house), and he ended up being found taking an unsupervised bath (At least it was in the sink and not in the tub).

(Big sigh)

So, after rinsing him off in the real bath tub (boy was super soapy), I deemed it time for him to go to bed so that I didn't manage to lose my kid AGAIN, and have him get into something even worse.  It was past his bedtime anyway, which is probably why he thought he was overdue for a bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment